Nominations are now open for the GCOOS Board of Directors. The Board invites colleagues interested in and committed to working within an organization dedicated to provide data, information and products to the Gulf of Mexico stakeholder community that includes the private sector, governmental agencies at all levels, academia and researchers, non-governmental organizations and the general public.
- The nomination deadline is 5 p.m. (CST), Friday, March 26, 2021
- Ballots will be sent out for a vote on Friday, April 2, 2021
- Voting ends at close of business, Friday, April 14, 2021
- Setting policy for the organization and providing direction to the Executive Director, including bylaws revisions as necessary;
- Establishing and maintaining the structure of the Regional Association, including approval of appointments to Councils, Committees, Task Teams or other groups;
- Approving budgets, the business model, proposals and endorsements requested by members for proposals they intend to submit.
About Board Service
- Terms are three years and begin at the autumn Board meeting (usually held in September/October);
- The Board meets twice annually in person and via phone every two months; the Board may also be called to meet when priority situations arise;
- Directors are not paid; however expenses related to GCOOS in-person Board meetings are reimbursed;
- Self-nominations are welcome.
Make a nomination
- Confirm that the person/people nominated are Members of the GCOOS-RA or affiliated with a member organization. Members must produce or use data or products from the Gulf of Mexico and its estuaries or be employed by an entity that does so. If a nominee is not a Member or a Member’s representative, they should request membership via Barb Kirkpatrick (email@example.com).
- Confirm that the person/people named are willing to serve as Board member(s) if elected.
- Indicate the sector for which the person is being nominated (government, academic, industry, or education and outreach).
- Provide a short biography (two or three paragraphs) detailing their work and interests as related to GCOOS.
- Email the information, including contact information, to GCOOS Research Associate Jennifer Vreeland-Dawson at firstname.lastname@example.org and Michael Lee, Chair, GCOOS Membership Committee (email@example.com).
Current Board Members whose terms expire in Fall 2021
- Dr. Alyssa Dausman, the Water Institute of the Gulf
- Bill Lingsch, UG2 Glider Coordinator
- Mike Lee, USGS
- Nick Shay, University of Miami, RSMAS
Outreach & Education Sector
- Renee Collini, Mississippi State University