GCOOS Board Elections Open in February 2023!
GCOOS will open nominations for our 2023 Board Elections on Feb. 21. Board members have the opportunity to be involved in helping to chart the course for GCOOS and supporting ocean observing opportunities across the five Gulf states, along with international efforts throughout the wider Gulf of Mexico. (View current board list here.) Self-nominations are welcome; you may also nominate a colleague.
Board seats are based on sectors. In 2023, we will be electing:
- One member each from the private and academic sectors
- Two members each from the government and outreach & education sectors
Only GCOOS members may vote for the Board.
- Not yet a member but interested in joining? Click here for details and to join.
Important dates and deadlines
- Feb. 21: Nominations open
- March 21: Nominations close
- March 28: Ballots sent to electors
- April 11: Voting ends
Questions? Please contact GCOOS Research Associate Jennifer Vreeland-Dawson.
Board Member Duties
- Setting policy for the organization and providing direction to the Executive Director, including bylaws revisions as necessary;
- Establishing and maintaining the structure of the Regional Association, including approval of appointments to Councils, Committees, Task Teams or other groups;
- Approving budgets, the business model, proposals and endorsements requested by members for proposals they intend to submit.
About Board Service
- Terms are three years and begin at the autumn Board meeting (usually held in September/October);
- The Board typically meets twice annually in person and via phone every two months; the Board may also be called to meet when priority situations arise;
- Board Members are not paid; however expenses related to GCOOS in-person Board meetings are reimbursed;
- Self-nominations are welcome.
To Make a Nomination
- Confirm that the person/people nominated are Members of the GCOOS-RA or affiliated with a member organization. Members must produce or use data or products from the Gulf of Mexico and its estuaries or be employed by an entity that does so. If a nominee is not a Member or a Member’s representative, they should request membership via Executive Director Dr. Jorge Brenner, Jorge.Brenner@GCOOS.org.
- Confirm that the person/people named are willing to serve as Board member(s) if elected.
- Indicate the sector for which the person is being nominated (government, academic, industry, or education and outreach).
- Provide a short biography (two or three paragraphs) detailing their work and interests as related to GCOOS.
- Email Board nominations to the 2023 Elections Officers Jennifer Vreeland-Dawson at Jen.Vreeland@GCOOS.org and Dr. Xinping Hu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Board Members whose terms expire in Fall 2023
Private Sector (1 seat open)
- David Driver, BP (Ret.)
Government Sector (2 seats open)
- Kirsten Larsen, NOAA/NCEI-MS
- Dr. Kimberly Yates, USGS
Academic Sector (1 seat open)
- Dr. Antonietta Quigg, TAMU-Galveston
Outreach & Education Sector (3 seats open)
- Dr. Sara Graves, University of Alabama, Huntsville
- Joe Swaykos, NOAA/NDBC (Capt., Ret.)
- Vacant seat