The Gulf of Mexico Ocean Acidification Network’s mission is to identify direct and indirect impacts of ocean acidification on the Gulf of Mexico’s large marine ecosystem and to develop strategies to mitigate these impacts by fostering collaborations and increasing ocean observations across the region.
GCAN, hosted by GCOOS, is a collaboration of regional efforts among the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Ocean Acidification Program (OAP), as well as other federal and state resource managers, industry partners, researchers and other stakeholders throughout the Gulf of Mexico.
For more information about GCAN or to join, email GCOOS Research Associate and GCAN Coordinator Jennifer Vreeland-Dawson.
GCAN hosts an ongoing webinar series and sponsors and participates in regional workshops and other activities. We also encourage participation in the NOAA-sponsored Ocean Acidification Information Exchange.
Ocean Conservancy Shellfish Grower Information Exchange Workshop
- What: The Ocean Conservancy, in partnership with GCAN, is interested in furthering the dialogue surrounding ocean and coastal acidification among shellfish industry representatives and the broader shellfish community. Shellfish growers, hatchery managers and scientists from around the country will discuss their experiences with this water chemistry change as well as other environmental issues that threaten shellfish. This meeting will provide an opportunity for a knowledge exchange among workshop participants about mass shellfish mortality events and their impacts on the shellfish community. Ocean acidification will provide the main case study to share, but other challenges will also be discussed, including shellfish diseases, salinity changes and warming waters. Discussion will also focus on ways operations have addressed and adapted to these problems. Speakers include Mike Congrove, Hatchery Manager, Oyster Seed Holdings, Gwynn, VA; Ian Jefferds, Owner, Penn Cove Shellfish, Coupeville, WA; Charlie Phillips, Owner, Sapelo Sea Farms, Townsend, GA; Jennifer Vreeland-Dawson, Texas A&M University, Research Associate, Corpus Christi, TX (GCAN); Dr. Meredith White, Research & Development, Mook Sea Farm, Walpole, ME.
- When: 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019
- Where: Island House Hotel, 26650 Perdido Beach Blvd., Orange Beach, AL, 36561
- RSVP Now
- Organizer: Ryan Ono, Manager, Ocean Acidification Program, Ocean Conservancy
2019 Oyster South Symposium
- What: The symposium a designed to bring together producers, gear suppliers, distributors, chefs, food writers, vendors, researchers, students and managers from the southeast region to discuss pressing issues and relevant, practical research on oyster aquaculture.
- When: Feb. 22-23
- Where: Orange Beach, AL
GCAN Members and Steering Committee
Name Affiliation Membership Year Joined
|Kaity Shamberger||Texas A&M University (TAMU)||Committee||2018|
|Emily Hall||Mote Marine Laboratory||Committee||2016|
|Rebecca Green||Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM)||Committee||2016|
|Steven Ashby||Northern Gulf Institute (NGI)||Committee||2016|
|Stephan Howden||University of Southern Mississippi (USM)||Committee||2016|
|Curt Hemmel||Bay Shellfish||Committee||2016|
|John Supan||Louisiana State University (LSU)||Committee||2016|
|Aaron Welsh||Two Docks Shellfish||Committee||2016|
|Bob Byrne||University of South Florida (USF)||Committee||2016|
|Bruce Barber||Gulf Shellfish Institute (GSI)||Member||2018|
|Dash Padmanava||Mississippi State University (MSU)||Committee||2016|
|Sophie McCoy||Florida State University (FSU)||Committee||2016|
|Mark Schnexnayder||Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF)||Committee||2016|
|Kim Yates||USGS||Committee CHAIR||2018|
|Seth Blitch||The Nature Concervancy (TNC)||Member||2018|
|Xinping Hu||TAMU-Corpus Christi||Committee||2016|
|Julien Lartigue||NOAA RESTORE||Committee||2017|
|Ryan Ono||Ocean Conservancy||Member||2018|
|James Ballard||Gulf States Marine Fisheries Commission (GSMFC)||Committee||2016|
|Jennifer Vreeland-Dawson||GCOOS||GCAN Coordinator||2017|
|Andy DePaola||Angelo DePaola Consulting, LLC||Member||2018|